Aquatic biologist turned professional underwater / outdoor photographer, Doug Stamm started his original stock photo agency ProPhoto in 1984. With the advent and ease of online image review, ProPhoto has evolved into stammphoto.com – a stock photo agency that illustrates most aspects of the art and science of sport fishing in books and magazines across North America. Stammphoto.com is best known for action close-ups of fighting game fish and attractive scenes of people fishing lakes, streams and rivers. In 2004, classic American hunting scenes of fine guns, game and bird dogs were added to stammphoto.com’s growing inventory of award winning photography.
Stammphoto.com’s additional file of underwater natural history photography includes rare and authentic studio images of a variety of freshwater inhabitants including fishes (game fish and otherwise), turtles, amphibians, alligators, manatees, and invertebrates. Many of these images have appeared in Audubon field guides and encyclopedias and appear as reference images in books, aquariums and natural resource agencies.
As a professional photographer/biologist, Doug has traveled with the Chicago Field Museum of Natural History to the headwaters of the Amazon River in eastern Peru in search of fishes unknown to science. He’s joined Jacque Cousteau’s diving team to photograph fishes beneath winter ice in the northern Mississippi River. Doug is the author and photographer of two books of underwater natural history (first of their kind).
His first book, “Underwater-The Northern Lakes”, University of Wisconsin Press 1977, revealed and explained the clear lake environments in the northern United States. His second book, “The Spring of Florida, Pineapple Press, Sarasota, 1994, photographs the underwater inhabitants and terrain of the clearest fresh water environments in the world.
Doug Stamm is an award winning member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America and the Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers. He lives with his wife Lucy and their English setter in the Wisconsin River valley of south west Wisconsin.
Other Photographers Represented by StammPhoto.com
- Mark Giovannetti – fisherman / studio photographer from Fulton, NY
- John Barbian – fisherman / hunter / photographer from Madison, WI
- Alan Barbian – nature photographer with National Park Service - WI
- Roger Peterson – underwater photographer from Maple Grove, MN
- James Beveridge – reef and rain forest photographer from Caye Caulker Belize
- Eric Engbretson - northern lakes underwater photographer from Florence, Wisconsin
- James T. Smith - Arizona award winning photographer / OWAA outdoor writer
- Jack Bissell - well published freshwater underwater and bass fishing photographer from Arkansas
- Herbert Lange - long time midwest nature photographer of the temperate forest and prairie